Most Urgent Needs of OWS Union Square Occupiers (Summary):
1) A SECURE INDOOR SPACE FOR STORAGE NEAR UNION SQUARE SOUTH
2) Direct support of medics, outreach team, and other occupiers who are sleeping out with info table and equipment & weathering the elements along with NYPD suppression
3) Volunteers with good outreach skills and good sign-making skills to work along frontage of 14th as well as within the large park area to engage NYC public.
4) Management of food donations and providing nutritional needs of occupiers and distressed New Yorkers
5) Strong conflict resolution / mediation skills to provide security for the occupiers and keep the community and volunteer environment safe and presentable to NYC residents
6) Content on the new website: occupyunionsquare.wordpress.com
More detailed list of immediate needs:
1) A SECURE INDOOR SPACE FOR STORAGE NEAR UNION SQUARE SOUTH. WHERE WE CAN STORE OUR FOLD-UP INFO TABLES, FLYERS AND BASIC SUPPLIES. PLEASE CALL 646-470-3890 IF YOU CAN HELP
2) VOLUNTEERS are needed immediately to:
a) staff Info Table – 2 people per 2hr shift… sign up here…
b) print out Daily Schedule of Events and bring to the Info Table in the morning. Can be the same person signs up on the morning shift above!
c) join our Park Outreach Team and GET NEW PEOPLE TO SIGN UP TO OUR MAILING LIST and get NEW PEOPLE to VOLUNTEER their time or donate!!
d) MAKE SIGNS and HOLD THEM UP IN FRONT OF PARK ON 14TH ST! (and also on the SOUTH side of 14th St. at Whole Foods
e) help with keeping WEBSITE up-to-date!
3) Printed FLYER donations / people with ACCESS to copy machines at work, school, etc. ( you can find printable flyers HERE )
4) Monetary donations at the info table at Union Square South (14th Street between Broadway & University Pl … across the street from Whole Foods… more towards left-side of steps if your facing higher number streets). Ask for Carlton in Kitchen or Ed the Medic. Also Latisha in Kitchen… or anyone else who offers good healthy food! Online donations will be set up in coming days. Check back often!
5) Bring food, water, gifts and your COMPASSION and SUPPORT! ENCOURAGE YOUR FRIENDS, CO-WORKERS, AND NEIGHBORS TO DO THE SAME **** Please note, we start breaking down tables etc around 8:30pm, so food should be set up and served no later than 7:30pm daily. ****
6) In-kind donations … Donated use space, of food prep areas / kitchens, etc. (There is an Occupy Dessert Kitchen that needs space!… https://www.facebook.com/OccupyDessertKitchen )
- Clothing, comfort & medical supplies
- Warm socks
- Underwear ( men’s & women’s )
- Body warmers
- Emergency blankets
- Regular clean blankets
- Baby wipes
- 4×4 sponges
- Medical tape
- Rolls of gauze
- Vitamins & Supplements
- General Supplies
- Good quality hand-truck
- Bungee cords
- Rolls of clear packing tape
- Self-adhesive wrap
- Binding clips to hold paper together
- Clipboards (can be purchased at any Dollar Store for $1 ea
- LARGE dry-erase board… Preferably fold out sandwich board
- Art materials – thick colored markers , paints, fabric for silkscreening etc.
Food & Supplies (coordinate with Kitchen staff… call 646-470-3890)
- Olive oil
- Canned beans
- Zip lock bags
- Aluminum trays
- Paper plates
8) Restaurant food donations ( Little Italy Pizza III 212-989-4225 or tinyurl.com/OccupieUnionSq and other restaurants to be added soon )
9) Managers for the People’s Library